Every child deserves a chance to live a healthy life. Yet the World Health Organization reports that more than half of child deaths under age five are caused by diseases that are preventable and treatable through simple, affordable interventions.
That is why we are committed to mothers. We know that when providing something for a mother -- food, medicine, knowledge -- means she will put it to work to benefit her children.
In communities where we work, it is not uncommon for mothers to give birth without basic medical supplies or a trained birth attendant. Often, mothers are uneducated about danger signs to look for during birth or in their newborn. Basic medical care during pregnancy and after birth are lacking and vaccination rates for children are low.
We come alongside women and children to help them thrive by:
- Assuring adequate prenatal care for pregnant women
- Increasing the number of safe deliveries attended by skilled providers
- Encouraging breastfeeding and giving new mothers the tools to make sure their babies receive appropriate nutrition
- Ensuring children are immunized and treated for pneumonia, malaria, diarrhea, and other illnesses
- Giving households access to safe water and improved sanitation
- Providing quality medical services to people in need of direct care
- Preventing diseases by equipping trained village volunteers to monitor health in their communities